Wednesday 25 May 2016

My Digital Making Journey- Original Tutorials and Reflection: Reflection: Tutorial 3: Shaping my Solid Object

The next stage for my journey was to create an identical object to that of my model, i would then use this as a solid base to work my metal around and form my skin. I did this by creating a solid timber replica on my wood lathe (spindle) at home.

Steps: (Do not attempt to lathe without supervision of an experienced operator)
1. Select a solid piece of timber with a diameter equal to or greater than that of the model
2. measure up the exact centre of the timber block on each end of the piece and mark it with pencil (this can be seen at the end of the timber piece in image 2)
3. Fasten the block into the lathe, ensuring it is secure
4. Adjust the compound rest bar into place
5. Ensure all the lathe blades are sharpened
6. Start the motor, once the timber has reached its optimum velocity, start gradually and work inward only chipping away with small increments at a time.
7. Work the shape, referring back to the model at regular intervals.
8. Take your time and be as precise as possible.
This is the first few moments as i worked on shaping the timber block into the pot shape. i did not shape it to the exact dimensions of the model, it was done roughly and by eye. my intentions were to only use this mold to get the rough shape for the skin.
This image shows the comparison between the Laser cut model and the solid timber model/towards the end of the process.
This image Demonstrates the final outcome of my wood lathe model in comparison with the laser cut model.
I was extremely happy with the results of my replica model. having a solid model would allow a greater accuracy when working my metal skin in the next stage.

I would definitely encourage undertaking this process as it made the following stages of the model making process a lot easier. Without this mold i'm not sure how i would have completed the skin to the standard i did. I would consider this process an integral part of the assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment